Ok, so I have to post about this because it has become my latest obsession which I’m sure it has also for many of you. I have a friend that invited me to a Facebook party for a brand of DIY acrylic nail strips decals called Color Street. I’m sure you’ve heard of them, but if you haven’t this concept is totally amazing. They are literally nail polish in the form of stickers or decals that stick onto your nail and have the same finish as if you just got a manicure. They take about 10-15 minutes to apply and the options for designs are limitless! Keep reading to find out how to make fake nails at home that look real!
First, I’d like to say that I do so much stuff with my hands that I am not a “nail person.” It’s not that I don’t like getting my nails done, but it’s an expensive habit that I couldn’t justify how long it would last on my particular hands. When I was younger and in high school, my friends and I used to get acrylics that were horrible for your actual nails and grew out frequently enough that you had to invest in maintaining them.
Anyway, when my friend invited me to this party “I thought is this a gimmick?” But I joined anyway out of curiosity with the intention of being noncommittal. While waiting for a free sample to arrive in the mail I did some research to see if there were any less expensive options I could try out. Color Street nail strips usually run anywhere from $11-$13 and then you usually have to pay for shipping unless you order in bulk or directly from a seller. And, they’re more like DIY acrylic nail kits which I’ve tried to avoid.
I happened to find a few different brands from Walmart.com. One brand I bought is Dashing Diva which I found for about $6 a set. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Dashing-Diva-GLOSS-Gel-Nail-Polish-Strips-Red-Inside-Edition-34-strips/477869856 This is the first set I bought (which is in the picture up above), and these are actually gel nail polish strips. It took me about 10 minutes to apply and I will share with you those steps.
How to apply Dashing Diva Nail Strips:
- Use a cuticle stick to push back your cuticles. You can also just use your thumbnail if it’s long enough
- Clean your nails with nail polish remover to remove any film so they will adhere properly.
- Select the correct size strip for your nail.
- Place the strip slightly beyond the cuticle for a longer wear to account for nail growth and slightly smooth and press the strip from the center out all the way to the end of the nail in order to avoid bubbles. *If you have larger nails then you can use an additional strip on the sides. I place the original strip directly in the center of my nail, then cut the sides of a new one and use it on the edges. You can’t even tell and it fills up your whole nail.
- Use a nail file and file perpendicularly to your nail and file away from yourself in order to remove the excess. Do not file side to side. Also if you’re using a dark color any mistakes will show more so try to just file the very tip of the nail again in the direction away from you.
How to remove Dashing Diva Nail Strips:
- Peel up the edge gently *WARNING Do not rip the strip off fast or without acetone, you will rip the top layer of your nail off.
- Dip a Q-tip in Acetone Nail Polish remover and gently rub underneath the peeled up edge
- Slowly peel away while continuously applying acetone
- If applying a new set gently buff and shape nails in preparation and follow the instructions for application.
You can find a few sets at places like…
I prefer to buy directly from their website www.dashingdiva.com because of the perks.
- 15% off your first order with e-mail sign up
- $15 and up qualifies for free shipping (about 2 sets)
- More of an updated selection
- Rewards program & discounts the more you buy
- $5 referral reward for you and your friends
- Incredibly fast shipping and delivery
- Great customer service
- Notifications when they are having sales on discounted sets
Here is my referral link which will get you $5 off your first order!
- Awesome Designs
- Real Gel Finish
- Does not chip or wear as easily as regular nail polish, or even the best DIY acrylic nail kits
- No dry time or curing (unlike with a DIY acrylic nail kit)
- No requirements for storage (Some strips have to be stored in the freezer)
- 10-15 minutes to apply
- No additional Polish or materials needed
- Lasts up to 14 days or longer
- Strengthens integrity of the nail
- They restock fairly quickly
- Easy to remove
- My only complaint about these sets is that I have large nails and most of the accent strips do not fully fit my nails. I can usually manage by placing them strategically on my smaller nails or by cutting from an additional strip and patching in the edges as I mentioned above.
Here a few sets I just bought. The top ones were on sale for $6. I was able to get free shipping and $5 off with a reward.
They ship with first-class mail and come in a super cute padded envelope. I always pep up when I get one in the mail 🙂
Tips on Healthy Nail Growth
If you’re looking to grow your nails longer and achieve a salon look, I have been using hair skin and nail vitamins that have really made my nails grow longer quickly and strengthened them. The nail strips add an extra layer of protection and I haven’t broken one yet. I have done gardening, sewing, and vigorous dish washing and the sets have lasted wonderfully. I also use another product called Beverly Hills Dermal Repair Complex which is a supplement that is intended to hydrate your skin. Here are some of the ingredients and benefits.
- Saw Palmetto: Helps reduce the visible effects of skin-destroying DHT, to help reinforce skin’s youthful elasticity.
- MSM: Promotes naturally strong skin from deep inside skin for a firmer, more toned look.
- Hydrolyzed Collagen: Bioavailable collagen provides skin with the amino acids it needs to maintain a firm, lifted look.
- Hyaluronic Acid: Deeply moisturizes skin from the inside out, for optimal moisture, softness, and plumping.
- Vitamin B: Helps encourage cell turnover for a constantly renewed and energized complexion.
- Vitamin A: A potent antioxidant that helps your body fight environmental aging factors to help you maintain your new, youthful look.
I’ve been using this product for about 2-3 months and have definitely seen an improvement in the quality of my skin. My skin looks and feels firmer and smooth. If you want to find this product for cheaper sometimes there are Facebook Ads where you can subscribe. I am usually a huge skeptic about stuff like this but I was feeling really self conscious about my skin the older I get and I’ve seen a great improvement in a short amount of time. Hopefully it works for you too!
I’ve also purchased Color Street Nail strips from my Facebook party. I’ll review those as soon as I use them! Stay tuned…